Don't Cry For Us UMC

In 2014, I will always remember the fear in the face of my father and in all our family as we anticipated the open heart surgery in the next 24hrs.   That night, my father, in a quiet moment of solitude whispered "How did I get here?".   (The operation was a success but my father's health was never the same.    Still we had a few more great years together. )

As we face the church's admin board meeting (Aug/2023) on disaffiliation I feel that same fear is strangling so many in our community.   The words from from the song "Don't Cry For Me" came to me as we consider separation from our connectionalism.  

It won't be easy, you'll think it strange
When I try to explain how I feel
That I still need your love after all that I've done
Don't cry for me, UMC
The truth is, I never left you...
All through my journey days, my prayers
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance...
They (views of GMC/independence allies) are illusions, 
they're not the solutions they promised to be
The answer was here all the time
I love you, and hope you love me
Don't cry for me, UMC

How did we get here?  It matters not how nor what the outcome may be for my trust is in the Lord.  

During the listening prayers I searched my heart and now my heart is strangely warm and filled with love.  Still consider:

  1. How sad that the BUMC delegation report on the 2023 annual conference never spoke of the warmth, prayers and love that poured out from the Rio Texas Methodist for the few churches that choose disaffiliation.   Real love and real caring from a connectional network that has been taking care of BUMC. 
  2. Over the past few years, I heard our lead pastor scold other pastors for violating their oath to the UMC Book of Discipline (UMC BoD) for even considering views in support of sexual diversity. 

I firmly believe that each person's conscience is scared and given by God -- so that the Spirit may act in our world.  The two points above emphasize the difference between a loving connectional network founded on the Grace of our Lord and a network based on scolding and judgement.  Simply, I just believe that honoring each other's God given conscience is fundamental. 

After the clear message from the 2nd survey that a 2/3 vote for disaffiliation was not possible and then "The Pause" --  I have now concluded that the "MCC ploy" is a means to bring Bethany into the GMC camp. 

The pause game plan has been to win over moderates with the dreams of independence and promised openness while not really sharing the whole story.   

The path to GMC is not the 2/3 disaffiliation vote!   It is the majority vote in 4Q23 that allows GMC to become the polity with a majority vote (red dotted line).   But to get to 4Q23, Bethany moderates have to buy into "we need independence; or else (ie. "the fear" of future

The MCC play is the key that opens the door.  Note below (red dotted line), how "the pause" has been used to put the independence promise (blue dotted line) to moderates, in order to get the church to a majority vote for GMC. 

Path to Bethany GMC 

In my listening prayers God spoke clearly that we had to expose false prophets (ala the Book of Jeremiah).  At the time, I did not understand what it mean.  Now it is clear.   God has spoken.  We need to honor our solemn commitment to Wesleyan connectional network within the UMC BoD!  Stop the discernment. 

Don't cry for us UMC!  For we love you and hope you will keep your love for us alive.   I KNOW that God is in the UMC connectional network and I KNOW God will heal everything through the UMC. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nice and Kind

Is Humanity Approaching the Garden of Eden?

Economic systems as interconnected energy fields